A lifeboat for July: 31 in 31 with me and Rachel Dawson
On our way to the grocery the other day, I told C that I have been struggling to find the light lately. I don't know if it's just a hard season, or if it's rooted a little more deeply than that, but I've found myself groping around for a little bit of hope. What I do know is that I'm not alone. A handful of friends both online and IRL have expressed that they, too, are feeling anxious or depressed or in need of something to look forward to to help them keep going lately.
So my friend Rachel and I decided to join forces. Rachel is one of the loveliest people on the planet and a dear, dear friend of mine -- someone I can be totally honest with no matter what and who I can count on to be totally honest with me. After chatting and finding ourselves in the same boat, we challenged each other to come up with a list of 31 things that we were looking forward to or hoping to accomplish during the month of July. They can be silly or serious or anything in between. We get that summer can be a busy time, but we also know that, looking around, we aren't the only ones who could use a steady IV of hope and encouragement right now -- so we didn't want to keep this to ourselves. We're inviting YOU.
Even if you don't find yourself feeling down these days, this can be a great way to invigorate your summer with some fun goals! We want everyone who wants to be a part of this project to feel completely welcome wherever they are right now.
Rachel made a handful of beautiful graphics for this project, which you can find and download here and fill in with your own list of 31 things. We also have a Facebook group that you can be part of to let us know that you're along for the ride so we can encourage you and cheer you on. We'll be hanging out with you throughout the month to let you know how our lists are going, and at the end of the month, we'll do a giveaway!
Onto the list! Here's what made mine:
1. Go to 5 yoga classes.
2. Purge my closet.
3. Follow a "photo a day" prompt.
4. Host a girls night at my house.
5. Publish 3 blog posts.
6. Go through a She Reads Truth study.
7. Read 3 books.
8. Cook 5 new recipes.
9. Print photos for a gallery wall.
10. Complete a 1,000 piece puzzle.
11. Try a new local restaurant.
12. Have two "zero dollar days" per week.
13. Send love letters to 4 friends.
14. Buy and wear a watch (so I don't always have to look at my phone for the time!).
15. Do something that scares me.
16. Actually find my foundation match.
17. Spend 20 minutes per day in the sun.
18. Watch 3 new documentaries.
19. Buy someone flowers.
20. Keep a gratitude journal (logging at least 3 things a day).
21. Wake up earlier.
22. Go to bed earlier.
23. Try a new workout class.
24. Do a wine tasting.
25. See a movie in the theater.
26. Review my core desired feelings.
27. Take a nap on a Sunday.
28. Save $500.
29. Go on a walk with C.
30. Visit a new local bookstore.
31. Recite a mantra daily.
Now, all you have to do is make your own list and come hang out with us! We want July to be a month of encouragement and growth and we would love nothing more than for you to be part of it! You can also find us hanging out on Twitter (me + Rachel) and Instagram (me + Rachel). Let's go be hopeful and get stuff done!